Friday, January 8, 2010

2009 Literary Findings

I had a friend (Tyler Renshaw) who once said, "would'nt it be great if you could go back and see all the films you love, again for the first time". " To feel that since of awe & bewilderment we felt on that first viewing". Yes it would be, and it got me thinking about authors who've had that same effect of AWE, on me. I can still remember the following authors, 1st book I read, the time period & feeling's they left me with. These authors remain dear to my heart: ( Ken Bruen,Craig McDonald, Ace Atkins, Daniel Woodrell, Cormac McCarthy, Scott Phillips, Reed Farrel Coleman, Dennis Lehayne, Jeff Lindsay, William Gay, Tom Franklin, Duane Swierczynski, Megan Abbott, and Chelsea Cain, Harry Crews.) I can never forget that first moment of discovery, as I ran across these authors books for the 1st time. I wait anxiously each year, waiting for their newest piece of work to hit the bookstores. In 2009, I discovered 20 wonderful new authors who made a major impact on me, many that I'm embarrased to admit it took me this long to find. Included in my 20 were the debut efforts of authors such as SOPHIE LITTLEFIELD, STEPHEN J.SCHWARTZ, STUART NEVILLE, JOSH GAYLORD, DANIEL DEPP, JOSH BRAZWELL, ATTICA LOCKE & KATHRYN STOCKETT. All with stunning debuts! The other 12 (I apologize it took me so long to find you & thank godness I did) included, DAVID MOODY, MICHAEL LISTER, TOM SCHRECK, LINWOOD BARCLAY, SEAN CHERCOVER, THERESA SCHWEGEL,CHARLIE STELLA, RAY BANKS, VICTOR GISCHLER, ANTHONY NEIL SMITH, JACK KERLEY, VICKI HENDRICKS. My favorite books of the Year were "Double Exposure" by Michael Lister, "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett, "On the Ropes" by Tom Schreck, "Haters" by David Moody, "Ghosts of Belfast" by Stuart Neville, "Big City, Bad Blood" and "Trigger City" both by Sean Chercover, "Fear The Worst" by Linwood Barclay, "Black Water Rising" by Attica Locke, and "Bad Day for Sorry" by Sophie Littlefield, and thats just 10 from the "New" discovery list. There were memorable books in 09 from tried & true friends like, "TOWER" by Reed Farrel Coleman & Ken Bruen, "Toros & Torsos" by Craig McDonald, "Evil at Heart" by Chelsea Cain, "BURY ME DEEP" by Megan Abbott, "Dexter by Design" by Jeff Lindsay, and "Devil's Garden" by Ace Atkins. In the 2010 year ahead, look for new books by Ace Atkins, Craig McDonald,David Moody, Michael Lister, Duane Swierczynski & Reed Farrel Coleman. So..if your looking for some books you can sink your teeth into in the year ahead, I hope this post will help get you started. Let me know what u think. Oh, and I know its past Christmas, but if Santa dont mind me askin for a late gift,...PLEASE bring us a NEW novel by Daniel Woodrell in the not so far future.

No comments:

Post a Comment